Pregnant & Training!?!

Exercise and pregnancy is a very personal thing. I believe everyone's experience is different. Each of my pregnancies have been a little different; these last 2 being my best pregnancies of all! I have been very lucky! So before I begin, let me tell you that I have been running and training for marathons and Ironman events for awhile. My body is used to the rigor and demands that training and "long" runs, rides, etc. put on it. And pregnant or not, they are never easy! Second, I need to add a disclaimer that I am not a medical professional or have the credentials to recommend what one woman should or shouldn't do during pregnancy. This is a decision you need to make with the advice from your doctor. So why am I writing about this? You can read more about my experience racing and training pregnant here!
Post St George Marathon 2013. Ran a 3:17 and was 24 weeks pregnant. Felt amazing!
 
Also, please remember that running during your pregnancy isn't for everyone. It is the same for any other activity...if you weren't doing it before you were pregnant, it probably isn't the best time to start up a training/running/biking routine. Be active, yes but there is a difference. Try to do things that you are comfortable with and discuss your decisions with your doctor. They will have great advice and are very supportive of a decision to be active because it will lead to a healthier mom and baby!
 

Here is some of the advice I was given from my doctor in regards to me and my ''training" plans during my pregnancy:


1. Pay attention to your heartrate. Aerobic exercise should be completed at 65%-85% of your maximum heart rate. This is just a given, especially as you get further along. You will notice that you need to slow down as your heart rate increases, lungs have less room to expand because of your growing belly.

2. Always be hydrated before, during, and after exercise. Dehydration can cause you to experience pre term labor. For me, those days where I can feel I am dehydrated are miserable, not to mention the Braxton Hicks come more frequently and is quite uncomfortable.

3. If ever there is a shortness or breath, tired or Braxton Hicks are coming quite frequently, I hang my towel up for the day and focus on rest, recovery and baby!

4. Never exercise to the point of exhaustion!

Guidelines I set for myself that had to do with running that I discussed with my doctor were:

1. Amount of running! My mileage hasn't changed much throughout my pregnancy...the speed of those miles has. It can be hard and frustrating but focus on what you are doing instead of feeling like you are falling behind. It is only normal to slow down!

2. The intensity of my runs don't really change until 5-6 months. After this point I try to keep all my runs in HR Zone 2-3, a place where I can carry on a conversation. I still will continue to do "speed", "tempo", and long runs, but each of these will be adjusted to a slower rate than pre-pregnancy training.

3. I still run marathons. My body is used to them. Others have opinions that differ.  For me I have found that my body responds fine to the distance as long as I make frequent bathroom breaks, slow down and just enjoy the fact that I am able to do what I do. It really is a moment of celebration and gratefulness for me. Our bodies are amazing things!

4. This was the most IMPORTANT!!! LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!!!! I don't workout or run on days I don't feel like it. I stop if I need to. I drink when I need to. I go to the bathroom when I have to. I am breaking no records or trying to prove anything. It is all about staying active for me. This is what I love to do! And it is such a special thing and bonding moment to share with my unborn baby!!

New York Marathon 2013. 28+ weeks pregnant with baby #3. Amazing experience.

Why do I keep running??? So many people wonder and ask!

1. I love it! I love the sweat and the me time. It makes me a better mom! Plus my body and mind crave it! It is really apart of who I am!

2. It helps with my energy. Pregnant or not, the days I have a good workout I am more productive. Sounds like it is contradicting, but it is true!

3. My last pregnancy with Mackay (who is now 13 months old) was my best pregnancy and he was my healthiest baby. I had the best recovery and enjoyed the entire journey. Staying active and being in good shape will mean you are stronger for a delivery and recovery.

Now I want to take the rest of this post to answer the most frequent questions I get:

How much do I workout during the week?

This is a tough one. I am building up for the Boston marathon right now which is 6 weeks away. Running is getting more tiresome and my runs are slowing WAY down! But this is normal...so in an effort to share what my week looks like, I will share what I did this week for working out. And I have to say...most of these workouts started around 5am, with the exception of Monday that always starts around 4:00am. It is how I get it done!

*Monday*
(This is my 2 a day)
6 mile run on treadmill. 45:45 minutes long. 7:38 min/mi average. This was a quicker tempo run.
1:00:00 Barbell Class. A head to toe weights class that is just awesome!
A break to come home, get kids off to school, volunteer in my kids class, do some studying for my PT certification. Then...
7.31 mile run outside. 56:42 minutes. 7:45 min/mi average. Just feels good to run outside. I am lucky enough to have some help on Mondays so it is a run where I am can go outside and not push my baby in a stroller!

*Tuesday*
1:10:00 Bike. No real rhyme or reason. I would shift between harder gears and then recover for a minute. Hopped off the bike to a run.
3.09 miles in 24:00. 7:46 min/mi average. I promised myself to do a few bricks each week because I will be training for an Ironman after this baby comes.
10x10 Push Ups
10x10 Sit Ups (Modified Pregnant Ones...more core strengthening stuff)

*Wednesday*
3.0 miles. 23:58. Just under an 8 min mile average...wasn't feeling the run at all.
1:30:00 Bike.

*Thursday*
Recovery run!! Love/Hate these days! 1:15:13. 9.17 miles. 8:12 min/mi average.
Took a break and then I always attend a noon barbell class on Thursdays. I try and get there a little early to warm up before.
1:00:00 Barbell Class.

*Friday*
Long Run. I actually did this on a treadmill because I was afraid of snowy roads so I got up early and went for it...my luck...it turned out to be a beautiful day!
18.46 miles. Run time was 2:24:23. 7:49 min/mi.

*Saturday*
My hubby is training for a half ironman in May so I joined him on his workout. It was Run, Bike, Run, Bike, Run, Bike...he did one more Run, Bike but I was done after 3! So totals for today was:
55:00 Bike
42:13 Run for 5.49 miles.
While he was finishing up his last round, I did an Upper Body Circuit/Core which took about 20:00.

So...as you can see. I put in time on this. I love it. I get excited for every Sunday because I know it is my day off but then I get so excited for 3:30am on Monday morning where my week gets to start all over!!

How do you fuel during your run? Do you do any supplementing?
What is your post workout routine?

Everyday I take the following supplements morning and night:

1 Prenatal Vitamin
2 Calcium Pills
1 Fish Oil
1 Zyflamend (a natural supplement to boost your bodies response to inflammation. I have taken it every day for the past 3 years and think it helps keep me injury-ish free!)
3 Recovery Pills from CarboPro. These help with recovery and rebuilding your muscles. I have checked and they are safe to use...plus I used them all throughout my prior pregnancy. But always discuss with your doctor.

In addition to these supplements, I make sure I drink about 96 oz or more of water everyday. Hydration is so, so important.



Pre Workout
1/2 Banana and a PB & Honey Sandwich or Half a Bagel with PB. I really LOVE Peanut Butter.

During Workout
Being pregnant I have noticed I need to fuel no matter how long I am working out. I chose to fuel with CarboPro during all my workouts. It is a liquid Carbohydrate that is just awesome. I usually find myself consuming about 150-200 calories per each hour of working out, depending on the intensity. I also use MetaSalt for electrolyte replacement. I have learned to take these as needed....depending on how the tummy and body are feeling!

Post Workout

First round, within 15 minutes of working out I like to consume a protein drink of some sort. A favorite lately is:

Almond Milk
Ice
Water
Spinach
Chocolate Interphase Protein Powder by CarboPro
1 Banana
Spinach
Or I like to add the Vanilla Interphase and throw in strawberries and blueberries also. And of course, I love my BlendTec...don't go a day without using it!

Second round is about within an hour or so of finishing a workout. I either make some eggs with veggies and avocado or I have a bowl of oatmeal with banana, strawberries and blueberries.


Then during the day I eat a lot. I never think about what I am eating but focus on fueling my body to be able to meet my demands and most important, nourish my growing baby. Lately have been definitely feeling like there needs to be a few adjustments in my diet, which I will post about soon too. Debbie and I have put together an eating menu...and we will write about it and want anyone to join in if they want.

I still believe that you eat to run...not run to eat! Nutrition is probably the most key ingredient to this recipe of running pregnant!! And sleep...I have been needing more sleep lately so I usually am finding myself in bed by 9pm. I go to bed when my kids do.
21 week ultrasound. Baby boy is perfect. Can't wait to kiss those lips & see those little feet run!

This schedule is on the more extreme side of what I do during pregnancy. It doesn't get much more than this but doesn't get much less either. I stay very active and I would always recommend erring on the side of a little less. My doctor is aware of the things I do, I listen to my body and trust my instincts. I am now 23, almost 24 weeks along, I have gained 15 pounds, baby is healthy, happy & active, and I feel great! I couldn't ask for much more and am so grateful for this amazing gift of health that I have been blessed with. It truly is amazing what our bodies can do and these little miracles that we grow are the best things ever!
Products I can't run without...Lole Tank and Saucony shoes.





2 comments:

  1. I LOOOOOVE this!!! So much respect !!! Love watching you train. I feel so proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robyn! Can't wait to see how everything goes for you the next time around! 😘😘

      Delete

 

Weekly Posts

*Monday Meals*
*Tuesday Tips*
*Wednesday Whatever*
*Thursday Training*
*Friday Features*

*Saturday Spotlight* (Occasionally)

If you have specific things you want us to talk about, email 4corefit@gmail.com



Contact Us

Questions? Comments? Anything Else?
Email us at 4corefit@gmail.com.
Have a great day!