Chicken & Quinoa...My latest Craving!

I am on a big quoinoa kick lately...for those who have never tried it, I suggest you do!! I love experiementing and trying to add different things to help change the flavor. I am sure there are a lot of different ways to cook quinoa but here is what I have found that works and tastes the best for what I do. I cook our quinoa in my rice cooker with low sodium, fat free chicken broth & water. Then I just set it to cook like rice. I have found when you cook quinoa in something other than just water, the flavor is better.

Why choose quinoa? Here are some breif nutrition facts about this low-fat, high protein food!!

Protein in Quinoa:
One of the best reasons to enjoy quinoa is because it has a high-protein content, which makes it a great cholesterol-free and low-fat source of protein for vegetarians. One cup of cooked quinoa (185 g) contains 8.14 grams of protein.

Fat in Quinoa:
Quinoa is naturally low in fat, but as a seed, it does have a small amount. One cup of cooked quinoa provides 3.4 grams of fat. By comparison, 185 grams cooked lean ground beef provides 33 grams of fat.
 
Calories in Quinoa:
Quinoa is relatively low in calories. One cup of cooked quinoa provides 222 calories. But of course, watch what you add to the quinoa, as it's in the cooking process that most of the calories and fat will be added,depending on how you prepare it.

Other Nutrients in Quinoa:
Quinoa is a great source of iron and fiber for vegetarians...actually for anyone! One cup of cooked quinoa (185 grams) provides 15% of the recommended daily intake of iron, and 5 grams of fiber, which is 21% the recommended amount. Some other nutrients in 1 cup of cooked Quinoa is:

  • 39.41 mg carbohydrates
  • 118 mg magnesium
  • 31 mg calcium
  • 2.76 mg iron
  • 318 mg potassium
  • 13 mg sodium
  • 2.02 mg zinc

  • Like I said, I have been loving quinoa lately. I add different things and usually pair it with some sort of chicken or fish. Here are 2 recipes from this past week that my family really enjoyed and they were fairly quick and easy!!

    For both of these, my base quinoa was cooked in a crock pot with low-sodium chicken broth!

     
    Black Bean & Avocado Quinoa

    In my rice cooker I added quinoa, chicken broth, about 1 tsp garlic, some cilantro and green onions. Let it cook altogether. Once it was cooked I added the following:
     
    Black Beans
    Corn
    Avocado (diced)
    Tomato
    Lime Juice
    Cumin
    Chilli Powder
     
    Served this with chicken cooked in the crock pot that I added a little Garlic Salt, Pepper, Fat-free Italian Dressing and a little bit of Sprite Zero. Shredded it once it cooked on low for about 5-6 hours.
     
    Also for dinner I added about 1 c of Romaine Lettuce to this and made it like a salad. You can top with anykind of salsa too or try Greek Yogurt instead of Sour Cream.
     
     
    Curry Chicken Quinoa
     
    I don't have a picture of this one, but this is a favorite of my hubby and little guy!
     
    Cooked Quinoa
    Diced Apples
    Shredded Chicken
    Raisins
    Diced Celery
    Diced Onions
    Curry Seasoning
    Garlic Salt
    Little bit of Sugar
     
    Mix everything together and season with curry & garlic salt to your liking. I add a little bit of sugar to sweeten things up a bit.
     
    Try and be creative and just add different things to switch up the flavor of your quinoa. If you just eat straight quinoa all the time, it could get a bit boring! Switching to quinoa in your diet over white rice doesn't have to mean every meal is plain and gross and you have to suffer through eating healthy. Find the things you love and try adding them together!!
     
     
    Have you tried Quinoa?
    How do you like to eat your Quinoa?
     
    
    

    17 comments:

    1. We love quinoa at our house! We do one with celery, cucumber, black beans, shredded chicken, lime juice, and a little greek yogurt with quinoa cooked in chicken broth. Can't wait to try these other recipes!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. This sounds awesome!! I will have to try it this week!!

        Delete
    2. We love it with a little milk and honey for a different spin on breakfast;)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. This sounds like a fun change from our oats!!

        Delete
    3. awesome! i just put quinoa and spaghetti sauce in my kids' lunch boxes. quick and super easy and nutritious. and we will probably also be having quinoa for dinner...

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Love this idea Sarah!! And I love that your kids will eat it for lunch!!!

        Delete
    4. Hey so I'm new to Pinterest and don't know all the ins and outs but if you'd put a pin it button on your posts that'd be super helpful cuz I love to save the recipes you put up. Thanks!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Great idea!! We will figure out how to do this!!

        Delete
      2. Kelly, I added a button so you should be able to add stuff to your pinterest account!! Thanks!!

        Delete
    5. I have never tried it! I think I may have to try it out this week!! Can you buy it anywhere??

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I have found it most places, but Harmon's, Whole Foods and Sprouts are safe bets. Where else has anyone found it?

        Delete
      2. If you have a Winco anywhere near you, they sell it in bulk. That's the cheapest place to get it.

        Delete
    6. Love Quinoa! But where is the best/ lest expensive place to buy it?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Amazon is always a good place to purchase all of these different grains. It is where I buy a lot of mine including chia seeds, amaranth. I was just told that Sam's club has quinoa and I am not sure about Costco. My husband works across the street from Sprouts and I have to say, that most of the time I just have him grab them there.

        Delete
      2. Winco sells it in their bulk section. That's the least expensive place that I've found it.

        Delete

     

    Weekly Posts

    *Monday Meals*
    *Tuesday Tips*
    *Wednesday Whatever*
    *Thursday Training*
    *Friday Features*

    *Saturday Spotlight* (Occasionally)

    If you have specific things you want us to talk about, email 4corefit@gmail.com



    Contact Us

    Questions? Comments? Anything Else?
    Email us at 4corefit@gmail.com.
    Have a great day!