Jess's Go To Workout-Intervals


I am having a hard time getting out in the snow to run this year...and we have lots of it here in Utah. That being the case, I am forced to get creative with my workouts because I get sick of the treadmill and don't want to pay additional money for another gym membership somewhere that offers variations or interval workouts. And sometimes with my littles it is hard to make class times at the gym I go to so I love being able to do workouts in the comfort of my home, in the early morning hours! 

We all hear about interval training...well here is one of my favorite interval workout sessions. You can do this in your own home or at the gym. And if you want to keep yourself honest with how hard you are working, strap on a heart rate monitor. You can use an online app to link your HR monitor to and see the data there. I love using the Armour39 app...it is sort of Awesome. Why do I like this interval workout? Because I can break up my run, get some good miles in, insert some pick-ups and all out bursts throughout but then I give myself a break to lift some good weights too! You can adjust this workout for how much you want to run, bike, etc.  The weight repetitions can also be adjusted. It is fun to see as you are consistent with doing this how much stronger you get over time! Give it a go and let me know what you think! Plus look at all the benefits....



Warm Up 10:00 - 30:00. 
Make this really chill. This should feel good and you just want to warm your muscles up. Just depending on the time I have and the miles I want to get in will depend on how long I "warm-up" on any given day.

Weight Set #1
DB Goblet Squat x 12
DB Half Squat Swing x 12
DB Crunches x 15
Repeat 3-4x's
DB stands for Dumbell if you had any questions about that. For these I use a 10 lb Kettlebell and then on the last set I take my weight up to 15 lb. Working up so I can increase my weights on more than one set to the 15...see just stay consistent and you will see yourself getting stronger. And if 12 reps is too much, start with 6-8 and just build. This is the nice thing about workouts like this is they can always be adjusted.

Running Set #1
10:00 Total. Broken up into the following....
2:00 Easy.
2:00 Pick-up. 
2:00 Easy.
2:00 Pick-up.
1:00 Easy.
1:00 All Out.
The "Easy" should be just that. This should be the base pace that you can run at forever and also recover at. The "Pick-up" should be a good :30-1:00 faster than your "Easy" pace. Then your All Out is just that...whatever you can do and however fast you can hold your pace for one minute...burn it out! If you want to do less time just do 1:00 for everything and cut the time in half to 5:00.

Weight Set #2
DB Upright Rows x 12
DB Hammer Curls x 12
DB Arnold Presses x 12
Mountain Climbers x 15
This one is a killer for the shoulders...but it will feel so good when it is over. Just grunt through it and remember each set is short so just focus on that and NAIL IT!!!!

Running Set #2
10:00 Total. Broken up. 
Same format as running set #1.

Weight Set #3
Isometric DB Squat w/ Low Row x 12.
DB Tricep Overhead Press x 12
Side Plank Rotation x 12 (each side)
Isometric hold...that is when you get into a squat position and just hold it there while you complete the exercise!

Running Set #3
10:00 Total. Broken up. 
Same format as running set #1.

Weight Set #4.
1:00 Plank.
5 Burpees.
1:00 Plank.
5 Burpees.
1:00 Plank
5 Burpees
1:00 Plank
10 Burpees.
Yes! This kills me! Once again, work up to where you can complete each Set.  And on the reverse also, if this is too easy for you, add time or burps. Adjust this so the workout works for you!!

5:00-10:00 Warm Down.
Use this time to warm your muscles down. Then make sure you take a few mins to stretch a bit and then you will be on your way. 

And of course, as with all my workouts, I had my favorite CarboPro drink in my Fitletic bottle to fuel me during this workout so I could keep my energy and intensity up throughout the entire duration!

Try it out and let me know what you think! I love adding variations like this to workouts, especially where I am in base building. The time goes by really quickly because I am always doing something new. When I am done I feel awesome and have got a good full body workout in.

Also, be sure to check out our training plans. We have listened to you and made some adjustments. We will include strength and a nutrition plan for any package purchased. The strength and nutrition plans can also be included separately. We can also adjust plans to include workouts like this one. If you are just looking to get in shape and want some good interval/workout formats to do...we got you covered. Email us at 4corefit@gmail.com for any questions you may have! We love hearing from you!!





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Weekly Posts

*Monday Meals*
*Tuesday Tips*
*Wednesday Whatever*
*Thursday Training*
*Friday Features*

*Saturday Spotlight* (Occasionally)

If you have specific things you want us to talk about, email 4corefit@gmail.com



Contact Us

Questions? Comments? Anything Else?
Email us at 4corefit@gmail.com.
Have a great day!