Tips for Training in Summer Heat!!!

I LOVE summer!!! I love the sun, I love to swim, I love to be out on the lake. I love the being able to run in shorts and tank tops! I love racing in the summer! I love summer nights! It is just a great time! And I believe that Summer is the perfect time to go outside and have fun. I love seeing how many people are outdoors doing various activities because there are so many to choose from. I may even need to bring back 1990 one of these summer days and pull out the old Rollerblades for some summer exercise fun!!! Here are some things I love to do in the summertime...

Biking in the mornings with my hubby!


Bike rides with my kiddos around the neighborhood!

5K races with my two Littles!! I love that they love to run with their Mom!!

But with the summer comes heat and it can be a potential problem with training if you are not careful!! You need to be especially careful in areas of extreme heat and/or humidity.

Here are a few things I have learned about training in the heat...both by experience and by taking other people's word for it so I have prepared against the elements!

Probably like most, for me, the biggest problems with training and racing in the heat is staying hydrated and maintaining my body's needed electrolytes and salt. When you sweat, your body loses not only water, but electrolytes and salt as well. If you didn't know, these 3 essential things, water, salt and electrolytes, are absolutely necessary to keep your body functioning properly. Has anyone been out on a run and suddenly you feel light headed, dizzy or even nauseated? I feel that way quite often on my workouts lately...but I think it is the morning sickness instead of hydration issues~ but I still watch for it! If you become too dehydrated and don't pay attention to the little signs you can have serious problems...starting with kidney problems! However if you drink too much water and don't replenish your electrolytes, there can also be serious problems!! It can lead to confusion, nausea, muscle cramps, seizures or even death in extreme cases.

You may not be racing in the desert or always be training in the dead heat of the day, but there are some things to keep in mind when it comes to exercising in the heat:

  1. Time of Day. Unless you are training for an event that takes place in the daytime heat, avoid exercising from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. It's the hottest part of day!! Generally, the early morning is the best time to workout, especially if it's going to be scorcher that day or you have an intense workout. It will be a lot more enjoyable. So choose your time wisely!!
  2. Clothing. Choose lighter colors and things that are a little looser fitting. Obviously the lighter color will help reflect heat! I would also recommend trying running specific clothing that have moisture wicking fabrics to help with sweat absorption. Avoid cotton...I don't need to say anymore! 
  3. Sunscreen. Simple...this is a must. Protect your skin, protect your body. Take care of yourself. Burning leads to sun damage that can lead to cancer. Take care of yourself and sunscreen up!
  4. Stay hydrated. Before you even start your workout, be sure to drink a glass of water. Carry water with you and try to take a drink every 15 mins. I am not this regimented on my runs, but you will learn to listen to your body and figure out what it needs! End your workout with at least another full glass of water also...or Gatorade!
  5. Replenish electrolytes and salt during your workout. I am a huge fan of MetaSalts. They have sodium and electrolytes. I also will take a few after a long workout or long run and it seems to help my body replenish itself a lot better. 
  6. Check the Weather. If there's a heat advisory, meaning high ozone and air pollution, you might want to take your workout indoors. These pollutants can damage your lungs. Being indoors every once in awhile won't kill you! ;)
  7. Listen to your Body!!! This is probably the most important. Stop immediately if you're feeling dizzy, faint or nauseous. If you are feeling thirsty, get a drink. If you start cramping or your tummy feels off, get electrolytes in you. Start paying attention to your body and the signs. If you give it what it needs, it will respond so much better for you! 
Like I said, I love summer. Sometimes I don't love training in the heat, but with proper preparation summer training is doable and so much more enjoyable than blizzard running!!! Also, don't be alarmed if you are running in heat and your pace is slower than you think it should be...your body is working extra hard in the heat to keep cool so just relax into your pace and enjoy the moment...

How is your summer training going?
What is a product you always use on your summer sessions??

2 comments:

 

Weekly Posts

*Monday Meals*
*Tuesday Tips*
*Wednesday Whatever*
*Thursday Training*
*Friday Features*

*Saturday Spotlight* (Occasionally)

If you have specific things you want us to talk about, email 4corefit@gmail.com



Contact Us

Questions? Comments? Anything Else?
Email us at 4corefit@gmail.com.
Have a great day!