Dressing for Winter Running

Dressing for the Winter can be challenging. We either end up with too much or not enough. A good rule of thumb is that you want to dress as if it is 20 degrees warmer than it actually is outside. You should be slightly cold whenever you start on a run! If you feel warm or just right, you probably want to shed a layer!

And always assume to wear something to cover your head and hands...hat and gloves!

Here is a good chart for you to judge what you should wear according to the temperature outside. And remember, this is just a guide. As you run more in the colder temps, you will figure out what your body needs in the different temperatures.

30 degrees: 2 tops: Long-sleeve base layer and a vest keep your core warm. I bottom: Tights
10 to 20 degrees: 2 tops: Tops for 30 degree weather and a jacket over your base layer. 2 bottoms: Wind pants over the tights.
0 to 10 degrees: 3 tops: Tops for 10-20 degree temps but add one more long sleeve base layer under the Jacket. 2 Bottoms: Same as the above for 10-20 degree weather.
Minus 10 to 0 degrees: Clothing will be the same as the 0-10 degree temps but you will want to add an extra pair of mittens and possibly a scarf wrapped around neck and can be pulled up over your mouth if needed.
Minus 20 degrees:  A lot more clothing or as a wise man once said, "Stay inside."

What is too cold for you to run outside? What do you do to keep it interesting when taking all your workouts indoors? What is your favorite type of workout to do?

3 comments:

  1. The one morning we went running and came back to our cars and it showed -2...I wondered what we were doing outside. Not to mention I stopped and had a panic attack because I couldn't feel my fingers with about .5 miles left in our run. However, I only had on one pair of gloves. Next time it is that cold, I will double up on the mittens or gloves!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, this post helped me so much I cant even tell you! Thanks so much! I am new to running but am working hard at it. Check out my blog at winningmybattles.wordpress.com. Thanks!

    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was very useful. Do you wear thermals? I wear them when It's very cold. When it's too cold, I just go to my treadmill. I love watching shows on Roku or documentaries. Great job on the blog!

    ReplyDelete

 

Weekly Posts

*Monday Meals*
*Tuesday Tips*
*Wednesday Whatever*
*Thursday Training*
*Friday Features*

*Saturday Spotlight* (Occasionally)

If you have specific things you want us to talk about, email 4corefit@gmail.com



Contact Us

Questions? Comments? Anything Else?
Email us at 4corefit@gmail.com.
Have a great day!