Injuries.....How To Deal With Them...

Injuries...how to deal with them...


 It has happened maybe twice. I pulled my cell out and called my husband to come pick me up. The first time it happened was when I was training for my first marathon.  It was snowing sideways, I was out for a 20 miler and was at mile 17. I was completely soaked and shivering from head to toe. I can tell you that I would rather have that snow on the ground, than to have had this "different reason" to resort to calling off an absolutely BEAUTIFUL Saturday run.
"Come pick me up, my IT band is killing me!"  AT MILE 5!!!  Seriously!? 

The onset of injuries are a tricky thing. After what started out to be an enjoyable headphone wearing run on Saturday, I knew that I needed to take some time to rest. To ice, stretch and foam roll.   All because the pain I felt stop me dead in my tracks. But here is where it gets tricky,  I love to run! I don't like to take time off. However, I have had an injury that has kept me from running for 3 1/2 months before. That is not a place I want t return to, EVER. 

Here are some guidelines that might help you answer the question...Should I run tomorrow or not? If not, what exercises can I do while I am recovering and help me keep my sanity?

Follow the guidelines below to assess the gravity of your particular pain--Below are the stages of injury seperated into four different zones—and to see which exercises are safe for you.

GREEN ZONE

Symptoms: Mild discomfort only after a run.
Exercise Rx: As long as there is no pain mid-workout, you can continue to run. Stick to  at terrain, avoid speed work or tempo runs and cut your mileage in half. Swap every other running workout with low-impact cross-training, such as yoga, weight lifting, elliptical, biking and swimming. Stretch lightly and perform self-massage daily with a foam roller or similar device.

YELLOW ZONE

Symptoms: Very mild pain while running that does not cause you to alter your stride or limp. The discomfort may be present (but does not worsen) post-run.
Exercise Rx: Cross-train with low-impact activities for five to seven days. If the pain subsides, gradually incorporate running back into your workouts. For example, if you were biking for 30 minutes, bike for 20 minutes and run for 10. Slowly add more running minutes over the following week or two.

ORANGE ZONE

Symptoms: Pain is present during and after a run and restricts activity. You can no longer run without altering your stride.
Exercise Rx: Cross-train at easy-to moderate efforts with activities that do not cause pain. Consult a doctor or physical therapist to develop a recovery plan with exercises that build strength and flexibility.

RED ZONE

Symptoms: Acute, unrelenting pain.
Exercise Rx: Before you hit the gym, you must visit your doctor. Depending on your diagnosis, you can begin to exercise with non-weight bearing activities (e.g. swimming, aqua jogging, rowing) as tolerated. Work with your doctor to develop a recovery plan tailored to your injury. Listen to your body and you’ll prevent overuse injuries from worsening. Remember: If it hurts, don’t do it. If your pain is ever in the orange or red zones, it’s time to make a doctor’s appointment.


Take care of yourself! 
Run smart! 
May your injuries be few!!








1 comments:

 

Weekly Posts

*Monday Meals*
*Tuesday Tips*
*Wednesday Whatever*
*Thursday Training*
*Friday Features*

*Saturday Spotlight* (Occasionally)

If you have specific things you want us to talk about, email 4corefit@gmail.com



Contact Us

Questions? Comments? Anything Else?
Email us at 4corefit@gmail.com.
Have a great day!