To Run, or not to Run??...That is the "SICK" Question.



Last week was a big week, lots of miles on my training schedule for the  St. George Marathon. I woke up Monday morning with a tickle in my throat, DANGIT, because Monday showed a two run day on my training schedule. I smashed the first hill sprint workout, taught a Barbell class and when I got home, I went right back to sleep after I took my kids to school. Was I starting to get sick? I continued to down Vitamin C like it was water and decided to move my run from Monday night to Tuesday morning. I was hoping that a little more sleep would help me escape this cold or whatever it was coming on.

As my training schedule read, I stuck with my Tuesday tempo and Wednesday hill repeat despite the fact that my head and sinuses were getting worse. All the while knowing what Thursday held for me. My track day. The workouts that I feel are the hardest even when I am feeling 100%. As Thursday approached I was feeling worse and getting anxious because I have already missed 2 track workouts and one long run due to Young Women's Girls Camp and Youth Conference....I couldn't possibly miss one more track workout, right? 

I watched the hours of my BUSY, errand filled, taxi mom Thursday tick away and decided that I better take the day off from the track and hope to fit a portion of it in on Friday morning. So I popped another Nyquil Thursday night, used the Netty Pot (that Jess brought to me) and hit the sack. 

As I awoke, my head didn't feel as bad as the day before so I made the decision to head to the track and modify my 400's to X12 instead of X16. I was happy to have completed that workout, and hoped that I wouldn't regret it on my long run Saturday. I was still wondering how I would have the energy/ablility to breathe to get 20 miles done. I was hoping for the best. 

Friday night I was still undecided about when or where (or HOW) I was going to get my long run in. It was pouring and the weather forecast was calling for 54% rain and cooler temps. I simply couldn't picture myself running with my sinus congestion and headache, and I didn't want to make things worse and make the cold last longer than it already had. What to do? I couldn't miss one more long run right? I went to bed and said I would see how I felt in the a.m.

My alarm went off and I still felt icky. I made the decision to go back sleep and was so happy that I had done just that. I prefer to get my workouts done first thing in the morning, especially long runs on Saturday, so I can spend time with my family. Today was going to be different. I had time to eat a good breakfast and allow my decongestant time to work. Turns out the weather forecast was pretty optimal for a long run. I modified my pace and allowed my body PLENTY of time to finish that long run. (with plenty of farmer blows along the way) :)

So, here is the question!!! Should you run when you are sick??

The rule of thumb says that if your symptoms are above the neck, it is OK  to exercise (but recommended to shorten the length of the session as well as the intensity).  If, however, you have symptoms below your neck and into your chest, it's time for rest rather than activity. Regardless, it is always a good idea to talk it over with your doctor. He or she can best diagnose what you have and can give you a clear path for recovery.

Your body has an excellent communication system and will tell you when not to run.  Your job is to listen for the signs and symptoms.  For example, if you're feeling well enough and aren't running a fever, an easy paced walk or hike for 20 to 30 minutes might do you a lot of good.   You'll soak in a little vitamin D from the sun and get some fresh air as well.  If you have a fever, zero energy, and generally feel like dog doo, it may be best to take the day off from exercise and invest in a little down time.  Like an ache or pain, pushing through isn't a good strategy when your body is already run down and trying to heal.  Plus, a few days off won't detour your fitness too much and can get you back on the roads quicker than you think.  Just remember to start back at an easy effort and run a few shorter workouts (25 to 30 minutes) to gradually get back into your normal running routine.

Although the cure for the common cold is still a mystery, I find the following remedies very comforting when I'm down and out. (None of these are scientifically proven; however, I believe Step 3 will be someday!)
Step 1.   Sometimes just raising my body core temperature and breaking a sweat makes me feel 100% better.  If I'm lifeless and miserable, I take the day off exercise completely.
Step 2.  Whip up a healthy smoothie (because I never have an appetite to eat and getting nutrient-rich food is vital for recovering) with 1/2 cup of fresh orange juice, 1 cup water, 1/2 cup ice, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, 1 banana, 1 tbsp flaxseed (anti-inflammatory, protein).  I've found that smoothies are a convenient nutrient-rich meal when I don't feel up to cooking (which is quite often).
Step 3.  Slip into my favorite comfy pajamas, plop down on the couch for a few hours and watch one of my favorite movies, or the latest DVR of So You Think You Can Dance, ( I miss it every Wednesday, because I am at young women's)   This step may not help physically, but it sure does make a difference psychologically.  Although the hardest part is choosing which of my favorite movies to watch.   
Step 4.  Hit the sack earlier than normal and invest in getting a few extra hours of sleep (or one more hour than normal).  Research has shown that lack of sleep can compromise our immune system, so it makes good sense to get a few extra z's when you're sick.

What is your favorite remedy for a cold?


1 comments:

  1. This post was packed with good information. Thanks so much for sharing. I also love smoothies when I don't feel up to eating but still want to give myself the good healthy things that it needs.

    ReplyDelete

 

Weekly Posts

*Monday Meals*
*Tuesday Tips*
*Wednesday Whatever*
*Thursday Training*
*Friday Features*

*Saturday Spotlight* (Occasionally)

If you have specific things you want us to talk about, email 4corefit@gmail.com



Contact Us

Questions? Comments? Anything Else?
Email us at 4corefit@gmail.com.
Have a great day!