Running Form....I Run, Because...



You mean you don't just throw on shoes and run? While some of you might have perfect form, others of you are wondering what it's supposed to feel like, and if you look like a "real runner". A question you are sure everyone is asking, especially all of those cars that pass you while you are out pounding the pavement. Admit it, you secretly critique the runners you see while in your car right?? 

WHAT IS PERFECT RUNNING FORM???




Let's start at the top......

HEAD: How you hold your head is key to overall posture, which determines how efficiently you run. Let your forward gaze be your guide. Let your eyes look ahead of you naturally. Try not to look at your feet, instead check out the horizon. This will straighten your neck and back, and bring them into alignment. Pull your chin back and in, don't get stuck with your chin sticking out forward.  

SHOULDERS: Shoulders play an important role in keeping your upper body relaxed while you run, which is critical to maintaining efficient running posture. For optimum performance, your shoulders should be low and loose, not high and tight. As you tire on a run (which most of us do), don't let them creep up toward your ears. If they do, shake them out to release the tension. Your shoulders also need to remain level and shouldn't dip from side to side with each stride.

ARMS: Even though running is primarily a lower-body activity, your arms aren't just along for the ride. Your hands control the tension in your upper body, while your arm swing works along with your leg stride to drive you forward. Keep your hands in an loose, unclenched fist, with your fingers lightly touching your palms. I imagine carrying a fragile flower in each each hand without crushing it. Your arms should swing mostly forward and back, not across your body, between waist and lower-chest level. Your elbows should be bent at about a 90-degree angle. When you feel your fists clenching or your forearms tensing, drop your arms to your sides and shake them out for a few seconds to release the tension.  This release feels so good when you start to feel the tension build up.

TORSO: The position of your torso while running is affected by the position of your head and shoulders. With your head up and looking ahead and your shoulders low and loose, your torso and back naturally straighten to allow you to run in an efficient, upright position that promotes optimal lung capacity and stride length. Many track coaches describe this ideal torso position as "running tall" and it means you need to stretch yourself up to your full height with your back comfortably straight. If you start to slouch during a run take a deep breath and feel yourself naturally straighten. As you exhale simply maintain that upright position.

HIPS: Your hips are your center of gravity, so they're key to good running posture. The proper position of your torso while running helps to ensure your hips will also be in the ideal position. With your torso and back comfortably upright and straight, your hips naturally fall into proper alignment--pointing you straight ahead. If you allow your torso to hunch over or lean too far forward during a run, your pelvis will tilt forward as well, which can put pressure on your lower back and throw the rest of your lower body out of alignment. When trying to gauge the position of your hips, think of your pelvis as a bowl filled with marbles, then try not to spill the marbles by tilting the bowl.

LEGS/STRIDE:  While sprinters need to lift their knees high to achieve maximum leg power, distance runners don't need such an exaggerated knee lift--it's simply too hard to sustain for any length of time. Instead, efficient endurance running requires just a slight knee lift, a quick leg turnover, and a short stride. Together, these will facilitate fluid forward movement instead of diverting (and wasting) energy. When running with the proper stride length, your feet should land directly underneath your body. As your foot strikes the ground, your knee should be slightly flexed so that it can bend naturally on impact. If your lower leg (below the knee) extends out in front of your body, your stride is too long.

ANKLES/FEET:  To run well, you need to push off the ground with maximum force. With each step, your foot should hit the ground lightly--landing between your heel and midfoot--then quickly roll forward. Keep your ankle flexed as your foot rolls forward to create more force for push-off. As you roll onto your toes, try to spring off the ground. You should feel your calf muscles propelling you forward on each step. Your feet should not slap loudly as they hit the ground. Good running is springy and quiet.

I Run, Because.......

All of the talk about running gets me thinking of why I run in the first place. I remember the first time I ran for "fun", it wasn't really all that enjoyable. But what kept me tying up my laces over and over again was the incredible feeling I had after the run was over. I had NO IDEA there was such thing as a runner's high. 


Since the realization that I really enjoy running, I have run for many different reasons. At first, I ran so I could see how fast I could run with out dying. Then it turned into a distance thing. My friend dear friend Katie DeJong nudged me to sign up for my 1st half marathon. I found out there that I could hang a little longer before wanting to pass out and die. What next? A marathon!! As scary a thought that was for me to entertain running 26.2 miles, I was excited and up for the challenge. A lofty goal of mine was to qualify for Boston. I will never forget reaching that goal, crossing the finish line of my first marathon, and every one after that. There is some crazy thing about the whole marathon training and racing that keeps me coming back for more.  

So again, why is it that I run you ask? Maybe one day it would be because I enjoyed a few too many sugar cookies or cinnamon bears. Then again maybe I am in need of "me" time. No other place than out on the road or trail to sort out your thoughts, add some clarity to your day. It's refreshing to come back home and it's almost as if my brain is nice and clean, and my face has nothing on but a smile. My heart and lungs just helped that head of mine to settle in and be present for whatever the rest of my day requires.  That is one of the main reasons why I run. To let go of what I need to, so I can be there for my husband and my children. 


Let me finish with a few fun ones...More reasons why I run....And then I want to hear yours.
I like dessert, I like food, I LOVE new shoes, I see amazing places when I run on vacations, my husband has taken me to Boston these past few years in April,  I get to run my first NY marathon this year, duh...new workout clothes, PR's, I want to be a healthy example to my children, I love the runner's high, I love to run with my friends, I enjoy meeting new running friends and talking about what runners talk about...the good the bad and the ugly:) My life changed for the better when I became a runner.

Now that you have heard just a few of my favorite things about running...

Why do you run, walk, ride, swim, dance, lift, box, crossfit, train, sweat?

What/who motivates you to do what you love to do?? What makes you come back for more?

 


20 comments:

  1. I love that picture of you guys at that 5K!!! That is when I first met the entire Tebbs family! And little Kam flipping backhandsprings through the finish line!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favorite memories...Watchin Brynn pass everyone..what a 6 year old who could smoke anyone!!!

      Delete
  2. I love how we use to talk about how we just didn't get how people would run 26.2 miles just for fun..lol. Now you know why :)Im still figuring it out..haha. however best yet when we first started running and our resting stop Kneaders for free mothers day breakfast! Maybe we need to hit this up again this year??? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Katie!! It seemed so foreign to me! 26.2 freaking miles! You are one of the big reasons I found out about the marathon. Your text to sign up for Hobble Creek was where I found out I could actually hang for that long:) Love you and love that Kneaders detour that Saturday run! I'm so up for it again this year!! XOXO

      Delete
  3. I love running for a social outlet! It's way cheaper than therapy :) love this deb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love our social outlet too. Somehow I always return from those runs rejuvenated, even though we've run up and down Millcreek...stopping for a few pics and "other reason"...I LOVE my running friends so much!!!

      Delete
  4. I have loved reading this post because I have fractured both femurs (the femoral neck area on both) and have not been able to run. I think I now have it under control, but one of the things my doctor told me was that I heel strike. I have been trying a mid-foot strike, and even though it feels a little funny, I can tell a difference and I don't feel that strain anymore. Hopefully as I begin slowly running again this spring, I won't fracture anything. It hurts! The first one I thought I pulled a muscle, so I ran 7 weeks on it and ran a 1/2 marathon. So dumb - I should have listened to my body. That's probably why I fractured the other one a few months later. :) Thanks for all this great information!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley...you have had your share of injuries!! Has anyone talked with you about cadence while you are running?

      Delete
    2. No, just where I strike on my foot. I did have a bone density scan because I was worried about that. The results came back normal. I did put some weight on, which I think adds a lot of stress on the body overall, but my doctor was not concerned about that at all. Last October to December I dug in and lost 15 pounds. I am hoping that helps when I begin to run again. I will take it slow.

      Jess, what are your thoughts on cadence? I would love to hear!

      Thanks! Ash

      Delete
    3. A typical, average runner is supposed to have a cadence of 180 steps per minute. I would be curious to see what your cadence is right now! The theory behind it is if you can hit 180 you are striking the ground mid-foot where you should be landing. I would assume your cadence is lower if you are heel striking so cadence may be a way for you to figure out your stride and correct where your foot hits the ground.

      And way to go!!! Losing weight and doing it on your own is so awesome!!! Sounds like you are on the right path!! Keep us posted on how things are going!

      Delete
    4. Thanks Jess! That is such great information to know. I will track it and see. Thank you! Ash

      Delete
  5. I love running to relieve stress! Its amazing what it does for my soul! Getting new workout clothes and shoes is also a perk for me:-) something about feeling cute while I am doing it gives me motivation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to all of the above!! Love my running clothes...they make me happy!

      Delete
  6. i totally agree with Keri. it's therapy! and i run because i want to see what my body and mind are capable of. you kinda get to know yourself on a whole different level when you do something that you thought was impossible. running more so than biking and swimming forces me to get out of my comfort zone. great article, deb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Biking forces me out of my comfort zone sarah...especially when biking around you. :) We need you to write an article for us about triathlon!

      Delete
  7. I used the tips in this post and paid very close attention to my form on my training run today. Discovered some mistakes when I started getting tired. Fixed them and finished feeling strong! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am just getting into running and am reading Kara Goucher's Running for Woman. The same day I saw this post about correct running form I was reading her recommendations on running form. There are probably different schools of thought on this but she suggests running with your arms coming across your body not forward and back as seen in your diagram. What are your thoughts on this? And does it matter or make a difference in your running?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is what I have come to discover about arms and running...the arms control the speed of your legs and need to be moved however you feel is comfortable. You will see so many different forms for arms while running. Text book arms are such as the diagram listed in this article...however...you need to find what works for you and conserves the most energy. Hope that helps. I personally do a combo of the diagram and what Kara suggests...my arms don't swing all the way accross my body but aren't forward and back! :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Jess! I've also been doing something somewhere between forward to back and across my body. It is more comfortable and I don't really have to think about it as much. Love the blog and thanks for the tips!

      Delete

 

Weekly Posts

*Monday Meals*
*Tuesday Tips*
*Wednesday Whatever*
*Thursday Training*
*Friday Features*

*Saturday Spotlight* (Occasionally)

If you have specific things you want us to talk about, email 4corefit@gmail.com



Contact Us

Questions? Comments? Anything Else?
Email us at 4corefit@gmail.com.
Have a great day!