Trail Running Tips for Beginners...and my Favorite Trail Run

 Training for the Trails


 With mud runs and Spartan Races peaking in popularity, trail running is becoming an important part of training for these races. Don't panic if you don't live near any trails -- just get creative.
Scout out some roads or paved paths where you can do some hill training. That is going to help you develop those secondary leg muscles that you use with trail running. At the bare minimum, get off a paved surface.  This will help you engage your stabilizing muscles in your lower legs, feet, hips, and ankles which is crucial to handle trails. If you're looking to build up confidence first before you head outside, run on the treadmill on an incline.
Finally, as with all training plans: Don't skimp on the cross training.  There have been tons of studies recently showing that dynamic stretches like walking lunges and butt-kicks are more effective than static stretches before running. Static stretching is what you want to do post-run to recover faster.  To cross train and stretch at the same time, consider taking up a weekly yoga class to work on strengthening and stretching your muscles.


 If you're sick of sticking to the streets, try a trail instead. I can say that I LOVE trail running. I always return feeling such a connection to nature.  It is hard for me to keep my eyes on the trail, because i simply want to see and enjoy the beauty ALL around me. I'll be the first to tell you, paying attention to your footsteps as you run, might help you avoid a nasty fall. Trust me I've been there. Three years later, and a few scars as well, I still feel it in my elbow from one particular toe picking, fall.  That being said, here are a few things you need to know to become a trail runner.

Beginner Basics

Before you tackle the trails, newbie trail runners should have a good pair of shoes. You don't need to buy a pair of specialized trail running shoes, The key is to get a pair of sneakers that are supportive, flexible, and have good traction and tread for trails. If they also double as your running sneakers, that's perfectly fine.
Once you've got the proper footwear,  start slow. Start mixing in one run a week on the trail into your normal routine and build up your mileage each week. Try moderate terrain first and practice your focus. Though it might be tempting, resist taking in the scenery -- instead, pay attention to where you're planting your feet to avoid a nasty fall.

Stay Safe

It's always a good idea to let someone know where you are going and how long you plan to be out for.  I have an extremely hard time going trail running on my own, for the simple fact that I am way to freaked out about scary men lurking in the trees, or a wild animal, sheesh!  I always find a friend or two or three to go with me. On my next trail run I will be packing my Mother's Day gift, pepper spray. A girl can never be too prepared. Pray I will NEVER have to use it!! In addition, make sure you carry your ID, a map, and your phone in case you land in an area where you may have cell phone service and need help. If you're running toward the end of the day, pack a headlamp. If you happen to take a wrong turn on the trail and it gets dark too quickly, you'll be glad you came prepared.

What to Wear

As with road running, outfit yourself for whatever weather you'll be trekking in. More than anything, you are dressing for the elements. For hot days, a pair of synthetic shorts and a sweat-wicking T-shirt will keep you cool. If you're in the woods you may not have to worry about the sun, but for any open areas make sure to bring a hat with you. For cooler weather, invest in an ultra light shell, glove liners, and a lightweight cap to help protect you from wind and give you some added warmth.
Aside from comfortable clothing, your must-have accessory for any runs over 45 minutes should be water. If you know you're going to be out for a few hours grab some energy bars, too.

Now that you have the basics, get out and enjoy the trails!! I am sure you will fall in love with them and the way you feel after you get done! 

My Favorite Trail Run....
Mt. Timpanogos August 2012

 We started at Timpooneke trail at 4:30 am. Running the Grand staircase with headlamps.




In the most gorgeous meadow looking forward to the Saddle and the Summit.


 On our way to the Summit of Timp

 View from the top...There was still smoke in the air from the wildfires.

 HAPPY 40th Birthday Elycse! What a great way to celebrate! 

SO HAPPY to be the top!!! Arm warmers were a neccesity...
It was so cold and crazy windy!
Timpanogos rises to an elevation of 11,752 ft above sea level 
and is the second highest mountain in Utah's Wasatch Range. 

 On our way back down...Waterfall #1

 Waterfall #2

The scenery was the most amazing I'd ever seen...The girls I ran with were mountain goats! Go, Go, Go!!  My Garmin died so I never knew the total mileage we hit that day, but it was somewhere around 24 miles.  We took Aspen Grove and filled up with water at the campground and then looped around and ended up coming out onto Salamander Flats trail where we continued west toward our car.  I realized that I needed way more food and water than what I packed. Next time I will be prepared with a little more food, because I was a bottomless pit for 2 days after this adventure. Also, I was more sore after this trail run than any marathon I've ever run! Maybe it had something to do with jumping into to the most epic trail run and not quite being ready for it. That being said, I would do it all over again...In fact, I hope these same mountain goats want to go again this summer.

Now that you've seen my favorite trail run. Would you share with me what yours is??

Maybe we can run them together this summer!






1 comments:

  1. I have always been a runner, but never much into trail running. It looks like a ton of fun, quite the adventure!

    ReplyDelete

 

Weekly Posts

*Monday Meals*
*Tuesday Tips*
*Wednesday Whatever*
*Thursday Training*
*Friday Features*

*Saturday Spotlight* (Occasionally)

If you have specific things you want us to talk about, email 4corefit@gmail.com



Contact Us

Questions? Comments? Anything Else?
Email us at 4corefit@gmail.com.
Have a great day!