Ballet Blast Ain't for Ballerinas!


A few thoughts immediately pop into my head after my experience tonight: 1) Holy Smokes, 2) Lots of Sweating, 3) Need to work on my flexibility.

Let me start off and say, I am a runner....I am a triathlete....I am a mother. I am not a dancer. I don't like going outside my comfort zone. I have no fear or problem with going out and running 20 miles...even 20 miles on a snowy day. In fact, the thought of swimming, biking and then running however many miles is doable. It is tough, but doable. I have done it before so I know what to expect and how to prepare. The thought of going to a Ballet Blast class had me nervous...I am not a ballerina, graceful and so not flexible. I had no idea what to expect, what I was going to have to do or if I could even do the things in class that I was instructed to do. I am sometimes so afraid to branch out of my comfort zone of what I know I can do because I know it is going to hurt! :)


Brianne Johnson (pictured to the right), the founder of Ballet Blast and also talk show host of Good Things Utah and The Daily Dish, challenged us to come experience her "happy" and in return she promised to come and try out our "happy" by running a 5K with us in April! We thought this would be a fun thing to do...share your "HAPPY" with us!  So we decided to attend a class that she was teaching in North Salt Lake on Tuesday nights.
 
A little background, Ballet Blast is a class that you will definitely get up on your toes, do some plies, work with the bar but this is not a "classical" ballet class. It combines ballet moves, with resistance and a good amount of repititions for a total body sculpting experience. Brianne says most dancers have potential for a wonderful body. And I agree, when you look at dancers they are graceful, and their bodies seem long...long legs, long arms...who wouldn't want that. So her thinking behind this class is taking the ballet technique and basics, combined with some other workouts and turned it into something that works for women. And it is definitely something I will go back and do again and again!
 
 
We show up to the class completely intimidated by the situation. We go into a room with ballet bars...what...this is serious! We take our spot and the class begins. Not even kidding, five mins into the class I am starting to sweat. What!?! We were still in the warm up. Then the real class begins....let's just say it was a learning curve to try and keep up but we were all dripping sweat because of the intensity, moves and resistance that we had! Everyone needs to give this class a shot...you will not be disappointed. Like I said...I will be back again and again! It was such a nice change of pace from running, biking and swimming. My body hurt and burned like it never had and instead of feeling fatigue (muscles got tired and burned) my body welcomed the change!! It was a humbling experience because I really need to work on a few things, but by visiting this class again, I think I will be able to work some things out and lengthen some of my muscles back out!
 
 
There are Ballet Blast locations all over the state. For more information be sure to visit their website at www.balletblast.com. You can also find them on facebook at Ballet Blast. Check them out and follow them along. Each class is $10 or you can purchase 4 classes for $30. It is so worth it! It is said that you can burn anywhere from 400-800 calories in an hour during this class. In addition, you will tone, sculpt, and lengthen your muscles. Who doesn't want that, especially as we are getting ready to come into Spring and Summer! That is a great workout and you WILL sweat! A few other things to know: You will need to bring your own yoga mat, 1-3 pound weights and the workout is best in socks. I know you are thinking...1-3 pound weights. Trust me when I say 3 pounds will be enough and a good challenge.
And of course, we thought we deserved a treat after our hard work so we had to go get ourselves some yogurt! Be sure to do that! When you work hard, reward yourself. Don't overdo it but you are treating your body well by working out and then treat it to some rewarding things every once in awhile...plus Red Mango is the healthy alternative, right????
 
 
 Have you tried any different classes lately? Do you have a happy you want to share with us?



7 comments:

  1. In in totally down to join you ladies for a class! I've been to a similar class and it was a killer! Love me some plies! Lets gitter dun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hollie...let's find a day and get a group and go Ballet Blast it together. Then you can also show off your cute new skirt from Impact!!!

      Delete
  2. I want to come along and try this. I think I can do this while being pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for trying my happy. I show you girls and love the post. I can't wait to see you girls again tomorrow morning:). Xoxo -Bree Johnson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bree...can't wait to see you too!! I tried to make it work to come tonight but I will be there next week. I am going to post about it and get a group of us to come and join you in North Salt lake!! Need to get my ballet blast on!!

      Delete
    2. And...when are we meeting for a run??? ;)

      Delete

 

Weekly Posts

*Monday Meals*
*Tuesday Tips*
*Wednesday Whatever*
*Thursday Training*
*Friday Features*

*Saturday Spotlight* (Occasionally)

If you have specific things you want us to talk about, email 4corefit@gmail.com



Contact Us

Questions? Comments? Anything Else?
Email us at 4corefit@gmail.com.
Have a great day!