Beginner Running Tips


It was 6 years ago on a Ragnar Relay in the Wasatch Back that I fell in love with running. I played basketball in college and always felt that running was a form of punishment. As you might guess I was reluctant to sign up for the relay race not knowing what to expect. I didn't expect that the loathing of running would leave and in turn I would be filled with the thrill of what I had just accomplished.  Guess what?? I survived it, and became a runner. A word I would have never in a million years used to describe me. A RUNNER??

I know that I don't have all of the answers, but I have learned a few things over the last several years, that I would like to share with those of you who are new to the sport of running.  I know the list could go on and on, but my hopes is to start here and maybe we can explore more in the future. 





1- The Importance of Cross Training
A runner needs to cross train to keep their body in balance. There are many forms of cross training that you can participate in. Here are a few ideas.... cycling, (indoor/outdoor), elipticals, stair climbers, rowing machine, and swimming.  My favorite way to cross train is hiking. Hiking will help your running greatly improve. It allows your body to take a break form the pounding, and build up strength and endurance. I get the same high at the top of a mountain as I do at the end of a race.


(Diane Larsen on her 1st Ragnar Relay experience. This was my chance to invite a 
new runner to experience the thrill of completing Ragnar)


2- Push Through It
How come I never enjoyed running before the relay event? I believe I didn't know how and that I could push through the uncomfortable, icky feeling that we all experience in the beginning miles of a run. It doesn't mean that I never feel that horrible feeling, I just don't recognize it as pain anymore. Rather I know it is just me getting out of my comfort zone.  That little bit of discomfort is nothing compared to the joy and sense of accomplishment I feel when I have finished a run or race.




3-Make it Fun
I trained for my first 2 marathons all by myself. Boy was it difficult. Since then I have been very fortunate to have plenty of wonderful running friends to share the miles, smiles and tears with. i realize the importance of finding the fun in running. I know that without these running friends, I might not be able to reach the goals I have. Training with friends is a great way to keep on track. For those runs I made solo, I was never caught without a rocking playlist. Music is a great motivator and will keep your feet moving. What else works? New shoes, a new running tank or shorts:)



4-Stick to the Plan
When I was training for my first marathon, I realized that if I missed even one of my short weekday runs, the longer run on the weekend was a challenge. If I had something come up during the week that made me miss one of my runs, I did my best and tried to squeeze it in at some other point in that week. Also, don't underestimate the SLOWER long run. I experienced injury when I pushed at a pace too fast on my long runs. 



5- The Importance of Rest
After I caught the running bug, I found it easy to run and workout all of the time, but never gave my body time to recover. My legs would always feel heavy and I was wondering my my IT or knee hurt or my race times would plateau. As I have gotten older, I recognize the importance of proper rest that your muscles need to get stronger. The result, less injury and more enjoyable running!



6-Switch Sides
At one point of my marathon training, my left hip started bothering me. I couldn't figure out why. When I was in the physical therapists office, he asked me what side of the road I was running on. Like most people, I follow the rules of the road and always run against traffic. He told me to switch sides more because running on the same side of the road all the time forces you to run in the same position, working the same muscles from the same angles every time you run. I started alternating which side of the road I ran on, being very careful. It took about a month, and I noticed the pain in my hip subsided. 



7- Find the Hills
I remember planning out routes that didn't have very many hills when I first started running. Now I seek them out. I LOVE the feeling I get when I reach the top. You will gain strength and endurance in your legs the more you train on hills. The best part of getting to the top, is the fact that most of the time you get to run back downhill. 



8- Change Things Up
Running is by far my favorite cardio exercise. but if I don't change up how I run, my body will reach a plateau and I won't see any positive changes. Aside from running 3-4 days a week, I try to add shorter speed work and tempo runs. Remember the local high school has a track, try it out every other week. Mix it up!!

I know there is PLENTY more to share...
What sort of things have you learned from running?

Anyone have a helpful tip they could share with a new runner?







 (Shout out to Liz Raybould...She is the "one" who invited me to run that Ragnar Relay
where I fell in love with running. I sure do  love you Liz!!!)


13 comments:

  1. I was another one of those that HATED running when I was younger, but fell in love a few years ago when my sis-in-law convinced me to run a 5K with her. I quickly gave up all other exercise and just wanted to run all the time, but found that I just wasn't getting faster or better. I added crossfit to my routine and have seen my strength, endurance, and speed increase so much! I still love my runs, but here's to a well-rounded fitness routine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiffani, where do you do crossfit at? That is something I have never tried...maybe too scared it will kill me...but would love to one day!

      Delete
    2. Tiffani...Yes,well rounded!! I love that you are a strong, well rounded athlete!

      Delete
    3. Jess, I follow a crossfit blog and do it at home. Can't afford a cf gym. Check out crossfitmamas.com. I have several friends who also do it, so I post the workouts on my facebook each day and then we all post our times, so we're accountable and supporting each other. Good luck! You will catch the bug with cf, too. :)

      Delete
  2. Definitely have caught the bug...loved reading this! There are still so many runs or workouts in general that I have to remind myself how good it will feel when I am done because it hurts and I am uncomfortable during!! But I always tell myself...things that are good for you don't always feel the best for you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Umm my helpful tip? Don't compare yourself to a man!! :) I would also suggest not starting to run for the first time in the middle of yucky Utah winter. The only thing getting me through these months is knowing how wonderful it is to run in amazing weather! I think March is the perfect time for a new person to start running outside :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that! I normally don't mind running a little in the winter...call me crazy but it is a fun change challenging the elements but this winter and bad air need to end!!!

      Delete
    2. Megan...you could add not starting up a new training plan during the middle of a nasty bug/sickness also!! That never makes you feel great!

      Delete
    3. Megan! Come on March get here already! Spring running is my favorite! Feels so good to take all of those long warm tights and pack them away for a few months. This winter has been one yucky one!!! Keep up the good work!

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed these tips! I am going to need them :) I just signed up for the Park City Half Marathon, my first. Can't wait,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on having your first 1/2 on the horizon. I am looking forward to hearing how your training is coming along. Good luck and keep us posted!

      Delete
  5. Deb, You and your hills!! They are going to be the death of me.

    ReplyDelete

 

Weekly Posts

*Monday Meals*
*Tuesday Tips*
*Wednesday Whatever*
*Thursday Training*
*Friday Features*

*Saturday Spotlight* (Occasionally)

If you have specific things you want us to talk about, email 4corefit@gmail.com



Contact Us

Questions? Comments? Anything Else?
Email us at 4corefit@gmail.com.
Have a great day!